Sunday, January 24, 2010

French 75's

As I was watching Casablanca for the umpteenth time, I thought I'd write something about booze in the cinema. It's been done, better than I ever could by a guy at boozemovies.com, so I'll just tell you about my current favorite cocktail, The French 75.

One of the drinks that everyone at Rick's Cafe Americain seems to order is a champagne cocktail. There are a zillion recipes for champagne cocktails. There is one ordered by name, not by Yvonne, but by her companion, the rude Nazi, (is there any other kind?). The French 75. It's an old cocktail from the lost generation. Named after the French 75mm artillery gun used in World War I. Apparently after you drink a couple, you feel like you've been hit by one of these guns. It has enough booze in it to satisfy a Hemingway or Fitzgerald. Now, there is some controversy as to who invented it and should it be made with brandy or gin. I hear there's a certain bartender at Arnuad's in New Orleans who refuses to make it with gin, "We do not mix French wine with English liquor", can't you just hear someone saying that with a snooty French accent? I like them made with gin. Here's my tried and true recipe. Oh, and as Bogey would say, "Here's looking at you, kid".

French 75

2 oz London Dry Gin, I like Tanqueray
2 teaspoons superfine sugar
2 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice
Champagne, I like Veuve Clicquot Demi-Sec, but any champagne will do

In a chilled cocktail shaker fill halfway with ice, add gin, sugar and lemon juice. Shake, then pour into a Collins glass, (who has those?), I just use a tall glass half filled with ice. Top with the champagne. Garnish with a slice of lemon and a maraschino cherry.

No comments:

Post a Comment