Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Of Hollywood and Lemon Cake


There are ten movies nominated for Best Picture this year and all I can ask is why? In past years it has been a stretch to come up with five, here's what I think of the 2010 ten, for 2009...


Avatar, I haven't seen it. I don't want to wear glasses over my glasses, but will for Alice In Wonderland.


The Blind Side, ugh.


District 9, surprisingly, really good.


An Education, don't stand, don't stand so close to me, where are Sting and the boys when you need them?


The Hurt Locker, really? I fell asleep watching this movie.


Inglorious Basterds, or how WWII should have ended. I loved it.


Precious, hard to watch, really good.


A Serious Man, never heard of it.


Up, best movie I saw last year.


Up In The Air, Hollywood tells us what it's like to be fired. Please don't, although, George would take the sting out of being canned.


What's going to win? Probably Avatar, or knowing Hollywood, it will be A Serious Man. They do love the obscure. Who heard of Slumdog Millionaire before the awards season last year?


Will I watch? Yes, I love to see the gowns and what get-up Mickey Rourke will wear. In honor of the occasion, I will make my Great-Aunt Matt's Hollywood Lemon Cake. This cake is great for parties, it's old fashioned and really easy. Everyone loves it. Sorry about the picture, this was the last piece.


Hollywood Lemon Cake


Preheat oven to 350 degrees


1 Yellow Cake Mix

1 Box Lemon Jell-O

3 Eggs

2/3 cup Oil

1 cup water

2 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice

1 Tbsp Fresh Grated Lemon Zest, one lemon should do it


Combine all ingredients and mix with electric mixer for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared, (greased and floured), 9X13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes if using glass, 30-40 if using metal. Cake is done when a toothpick or knife is inserted and comes out clean. Glaze upon removing from oven.


Glaze


2 cups Powdered Sugar

1/3 to 1/2 cup Fresh Lemon Juice, usually two lemons.


Mix glaze while cake is baking. When cake comes out of oven and while still hot, poke holes all over top with fork, going down to the bottom of the pan. Spread glaze over top of hot cake. I try not to let it all go down the sides, so glaze slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment