Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Of Coolness

At a recent family get together, my 29 year old nephew said something quite shocking. We were talking about my recent brush with a computer virus, he said that's why I should get an Apple, I said I'm not cool enough for an Apple. Then he then said something that just stopped me in my tracks, "You're my cool aunt, you've always been cool."

Wow, I've always thought I was kind of weird. My husband says I'm a little eccentric and my best friend says I spin in a different orbit from anyone else. See, I think those are just nice ways of saying weird.

What is coolness? Well, Steve McQueen was super cool, so was James Dean. However, they were movie stars and most of them look or seem pretty cool. I think it's more than that, I think it's more about being, your true self. My mother always said, "don't follow the beat of a different drummer, follow your own beat". Mom was a big believer in individuality.

Maybe that's the secret, just be your own weird self and someone will think you're cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment