Monday, March 15, 2010

Alice in Wonderland

So, it's been thirty some odd years since I read Adventures in Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass. Which was a good thing then I couldn't nit pick the changes, which made the movie very enjoyable. Yes, enjoyable. I loved this movie. I found myself smiling through most of it, as a lot of it was just as I'd imagined.

It's true, Johnny Depp carries most of the movie, except where Helena Bonham Carter appears. The girl who portrayed Alice could have been anyone. Depp is deliciously psychotic as the Mad Hatter and Bonham Carter is fabulous as the Red Queen, big head and all. She has one of the best lines ever, "Off with his, her or their heads". Although, she seems a combination of the Red Queen and the Queen of Hearts, two different people in the books. I also loved Crispin Glover as the Knave of Hearts. He always brings a certain weirdness to all his roles. I've decided I must have a Cheshire Cat, and a hookah smoking Caterpillar.

To 3D or not to 3D? Don't bother. I saw it in 2D and didn't have to wear those annoying glasses. I honestly couldn't see how it could be improved in 3D. Maybe the rabbit hole scene would have been cooler.

Now the nit pick. As far as I know, it's a Jabberwock, not a Jabberwocky. Jabberwocky is the name of the poem. "Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch." The Queen of Hearts was in Adventures in Wonderland, which had a card theme and The Red Queen was in Through The Looking Glass, which had a chess theme. The Knave of Hearts stole the tarts, not some frog footman. And weren't they fish footmen? I can't remember. However, the changes really don't matter as these are such illogical stories anyway, I don't' think Lewis Carroll would mind a bit.

One thing this movie has made me want to do is reread the books.

Alice in Wonderland is a must see if you are a Depp or Burton fan. If you loved the books or if you are over the age of 10 you'll want to see it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment