Friday, March 19, 2010

Of Spring and Asparagus Quiche


The snow is stopping, the bunnies are hopping, and the buds are popping.

Yes, on Saturday, March 20, at 12:32 pm CST, the Vernal Equinox will occur, As the sun sits vertically above the equator, ta da, it's SPRING.
To my Wiccan and Pagan friends, Happy Ostara, wish you could be at Stonehenge. Although with all the riffraff there, it's kind of like a vampire going out on Halloween, it's just not done. But I digress, as usual.
My favorite place to be in springtime is Tennessee. If I were there, I'd be looking forward to the red bud trees turning the hills magenta and pink, (see picture above). The dogwoods would be headed for a blaze of glory and the jonquils would be nodding in the breeze. Of course, I'd be sneezing my head off but I'd be enjoying the scenery and the company.
It's been quite nice up here in the Great White North. It was in the 60's yesterday; however, tonight it's supposed to snow. My grandpa called this pneumonia weather. To stave off any chill, I suggest an Asparagus Quiche, and I just happen to have a fabulous recipe. Seriously, if you are serving more than three people you'd better make two, it's that good.
Asparagus Deep Dish Quiche
10 bacon strips cut in 1/2 inch pieces, or 1 cup diced ham
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 lb fresh asparagus, cut into 1/2 to one inch pieces
1 and 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1 Tablespoon flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 9 inch unbaked pie shell, I use Pillsbury, the kind that's rolled in a box.
3 eggs, I use jumbo but extra large will do
1/2 cup half and half, you can buy a little carton and use the rest for a treat in your coffee or cereal.
Place pie crust in a deep dish pie pan.
In a skillet cook bacon until crisp, or cook ham until it has a little color. Remove meat from skillet and drain on paper towel. If you used bacon reserve 1 tablespoon of drippings in skillet, if you used ham add 1 tablespoon butter, then add onions and cook till golden and translucent.
Cook the asparagus in a little boiling water until tender-crisp, then drain.
In a bowl toss together the meat, onions, asparagus, cheese, flour, salt and pepper. Pour this mixture onto the pie crust. Mix the eggs and half and half together and pour over the asparagus mixture. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes. It's done when it gets a little puffy and golden, also a knife inserted near the center will come out clean. Serve with a crisp salad made of spring greens and other salad goodies and your taste buds will applaud.

No comments:

Post a Comment